Top 5 Movies I Saw In 2013

Posted by : | March 1, 2014

1.) The Wolf of Wall Streetwolf-wall-street

The most vibrant, creative, gloriously excessive film I’ve seen in a long time, possibly ever, followed by a closing shot that perfectly sums up the filmmakers’ attitude towards what we just witnessed, and our own culpability in it.  Balsy stuff, indeed.

2.) Inside Llewyn Davisinside-llewyn-davis-oscar-isaac

The Coen Brothers have a knack for creating worlds rich in detail, and I became immersed in the atmosphere and vibe of this movie like no other this year.  I can’t say it’s heavy on story, but the film pulled me in deep, its character and tone sticking with me weeks after.

3.) HerHer

You can see my review for more in-depth thoughts on this, but suffice to say it is probably the most heartfelt, beautiful and believable movie about a man falling in love with his computer that you will ever see.

4.) Mud130117090410_mud_movie

Seems like Matthew McConaughey is having a pretty good year.  The guy has reestablished himself as more than just a six-pack, and this movie is a great example of why.  The small-town southern river environment provides an interesting backdrop to a movie that could’ve easily devolved into cliché, but instead surprised me with its intelligence every step of the way.

5.) MediocrityOz-The-Great-and-Powerful

Not a movie title, but instead a good description of pretty much everything else I saw this year, which unfortunately wasn’t much.  Hopefully more in 2014!  Here’s the list:

American Hustle, Blue Jasmine, This Is The End, Oz: The Great and Powerful, Evil Dead, Star Trek: Into Darkness, World War Z, 12 Years A Slave, Machete Kills, Thor: Dark World, Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

Dishonorable Mention: The Hunger Games: Catching Firejennifer-lawrence-catching-fire

Far and away the WORST movie I saw this year.

Come back tomorrow for…oh.  It’s done!  Whew.

Stephanie earns best blogmate

Tags: , , , ,

1. Stephanie
    Posted March 12, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Porcupine was very busy even seeing movies on top of our Porcupine Sundae business! Sundae Stephanie did not see 12 Years… my feeling is that I have no more emotional capacity for slavery and holocaust movies. I’m grateful these horrific historical periods are being brought home to generation after generation in new movies, they are stories that MUST be told. But as for me personally, I can’t watch any more.

• Lisa
      Posted March 13, 2014 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

I totally understand about the tough to see movies Stephanie. I did a double feature of 12 Years followed immediately by Hunger Games – Catching Fire (even more fun the second time around!!) and a glass of wine. It was a highly effective wind down strategy.

• Stephanie
        Posted March 20, 2014 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

really? you don’t mind? cuz my heart is a sensitive flower 🙂

• Lisa
          Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Oh my little sensitive flower – it’s not that I don’t mind but I feel like seeing these really well done movies helps me to understand the world that we live in just a little bit better.

2. Lisa
    Posted March 4, 2014 at 9:18 am | Permalink

And I totally agree with your Wolf of Wallstreet assessment! Close second best film for me.

3. Lisa
    Posted March 3, 2014 at 7:54 pm | Permalink

12 Years a Slave is the only movie ever produced where the protagonist starts out as a free man and then becomes a slave. That point of view completely changed how I emotionally related to the main character vs any other slave film that I have seen.
    In the beginning of the film, Solomon is an “every man” in the best sense of the word. He has a loving family, an upwardly mobile career where his talents are appreciated and he’s well paid, a comfortable home, and hopes and dreams that can be achieved. He defines himself as a happy man.
    Relative to most of the word, I have those same things, and of course define my life and happiness by them. I can definitely say that I have never related to a slave in a movie in this way, not even close. Could there be anything more terrifying than what happened to Solomon could happen to me? I know intellectually that it wouldn’t, but that doesn’t make the emotional terror go away. It’s my biggest nightmare. This fear made watching “12 Years a Slave” a very different viewing experience for me than any other slave movie that I have watched.
    12 Years a Slave is completely unique and brilliant, not just as a slave story but as a movie about the state of mankind and our hopes. Steve McQueen, and his entire team, created a film about one of the worst experiences possible that was actually relatable on a personal level to this well-educated incredibly comfortable white girl in the year 2014. It deserved to win Best Picture of the Year.

• Patrick
      Posted March 4, 2014 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

Well, many slavery movies started out with the victims free. Maybe not in the northern U.S. and so well off, but free in Africa, so for me that didn’t strike me as anything special. Freedom ripped from you no matter your circumstances would be awful, and I’d seen that before. It’s all perspective, though, so I get your point. It just didn’t work for me. I wanted something more complex, different. Many other things I had a problem with as well, from what I saw as a cartoonishly evil Fassbender, to the deus ex machine that was Brad Pitt’s saintly Canadian. Regardless of the veracity of these elements, they didn’t make for anything very compelling for me. I thought the whole thing was just kind of cookie-cutter. But obviously many agree with you. There is of course no right or wrong; that’s just my take. All of these are up for debate!

• Lisa
        Posted March 9, 2014 at 7:00 pm | Permalink

Of course the comment was only in relation to movies that started out in in the US, or otherwise it would be a pretty silly argument on my part. Will try to be more clear next time. I completely agree with you regarding Brad Pitt. I felt like I was watching someone in their 6th grade play.

Mud was great! I’ve really enjoyed your recommendations on the site so far, but now the only films I haven’t seen are Treasure Island and thePassion of the Christ (and not seeing those). Do you have any more suggestions for obscure fantastic movies? Maybe filmed before 1980? I like any genre but horror. Thanks in advance film guy!!

• Lisa
          Posted March 9, 2014 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

Am going to assume you didn’t get me last comment so am re-posting. Operator error on my part!

Of course my post was only in relation to movies that started in the US, otherwise my argument would have been pretty silly. I completely agree with you regarding Brad Pitt. I felt like I was watching someone in their sixth grade play.

Mud was great! I’ve really enjoyed all of your recommendations on the site so far. The only movies that you’ve suggested that I haven’t watched are Passion of the Christ and Treasure Island (and am not watching those). Do you have any suggestions for a couple of obscure films made before 1980? I like any genre but horror. Thanks in advance movie guy!

• Patrick
          Posted March 16, 2014 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

There are so many obscure films before 1980 that I’m having trouble naming even one… Lately I’ve been on a film noir kick, and while these aren’t exactly obscure, if you haven’t seen The Big Sleep or Double Indemnity, check them out. Anything by David Lean, or try a John Ford western like The Searchers or The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Want something weird? Jean Luc Goddard’s Weekend is a classic few have seen, and it’s bizarre. It would add major street cred to your film chops, but be warned, it’s…unusual.

• Lisa
            Posted April 1, 2014 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

Outstanding recommendations as usual! The Searchers is one of the most beautifully filmed movies that I’ve ever seen. I really enjoyed Who Shot Liberty Valance (Team Jimmy 4 ever!!) These movies have changed my opinion of the Western genre in a very positive way.
            Weekend is not available on Netflix or Amazon steaming, so I watched Breathless and had a lot of fun getting into the new wave.

Thanks Porcupine!

• Lisa
        Posted March 9, 2014 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Just posted a response. Did you get it?

4. Lisa
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 9:47 pm | Permalink

Good to know about Mud – now am very curious to see it. Why the mediocre rating on 12 Years? Not sure why I find the hunger games hate so funny, but it seems to increase every time you mention it.

• Patrick
      Posted March 2, 2014 at 2:14 am | Permalink

Lisa, I thought 12 Years was just a retread of every slavery movie I’ve seen- nothing new or interesting brought to the table. And the Hunger Games hate is just too much fun. Hopefully Stephanie won’t make me watch the next one!

5. Dan
    Posted March 1, 2014 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

What no leggo movie? Man…I haven’t seen any of your top five yet