Posted by : Stephanie | January 27, 2015
Are you watching SNL these days or do you actually go out on Saturday nights? Well I’m happy to report that SNL is killin’ it lately! Some of the new kids are pretty darn good. And the satire has been off the charts amazing. I’ve always loved the show, and my birthday dream is to get portraits just like the gorgeous, essence-capturing ones that feature the night’s host, and my other favorite part is always the hugs at the end. I like to imagine tension among cast members and maybe the visiting band.
1. Black women! There are two, count them, TWO African American women cast members. And they’re amazing. Remember when Kerry Washington was on and there was that self-aware skit where she had to play Oprah and Michelle and Beyonce because Kenan refused to dress up in drag anymore? It’s a whole new world with Sasheer Zamata and Leslie Jones.
2. Women in general! Because there are so many talented women in this cast, they can do fabulous things like the following fave of mine:
3. One woman in particular: Kate McKinnon. Her super strong character acting rivals even Bill Hader. She’s amazing as German Chancellor Angela Merkel and is 2die4 as Justin Bieber:
4. Short films still rules! From Smigel cartoons to Andy Samberg + The Lonely Island to now, short films are still strong, like this recent fabulous parody of hipster Brooklyn:
6. Best character (according to both me and Andy Cohen): Jacob the Bar Mitzvah boy by Vanessa Bayer!
5. Still teaching me pop culture! Jim Carrey, I had no idea why you were jumping around like a maniac in a flesh-tone leotard because I’d never seen that music video from stage-frightened Sia. I also learned about Charlie XCX, the alarmingly awful Iggy Azalea, and my new obsession St. Vincent.
1. The men lol. Thanks for your service, and how about retiring? I’ve enjoyed the hell out of Kenan Thompson, and my favorite characters have to be the FIX IT guy and Jean K. Jean the Def Jam France guy.. Zut Alors! But I don’t know if longest-running cast member is a good distinction. And Bobby Moynihan you’ve also given it your all. But it’s time to move on (and not to more episodes of your cartoon side project, Chozen). Let’s make room for some newbies!
2. The Weekend Update guys. Why guys? Plus Colin Yost feels smug and lacks serious Seth Meyers likeability, and the writers for Michael Che bring an inordinate amount of his commentary down to observations about white people. He’s funny and relatable on a much wider range of insights.
Enjoy some of my favorite clips!
1. This Serial spoof is so on the mark it’s ridiculous:
2. The recurring show, How’s He Doing?, is a clever political commentary roundtable of African American scholars discussing what Obama would have to do to lose their vote. Spoiler: Nothing!
3. This is another sly and brilliant commentary, here aimed at nonprofit culture triple lol:
4. Kerry Washington was one of the best hosts ever, and this spoof on the wacky song, What Does the Fox Say?, is hilarious! Enjoy… What Does My Girl Say?
5. For the ultimate edgy satire riding the danger line, genius Chris Rock delivers when he guest hosts. He’s the only comedian brave enough to ask himself, what would happen if ISIS appeared on Shark Tank?
SNL — worth a watch! So set your DVR and stream it on Sunday morning after your hot Saturday night date… Ooooh do tell! How’d yous meet? Like does he have a friend?
Tags: Andy Cohen, Andy Samberg, Bobby Moynihan, Bushwick, Charlie XCX, Chozen, Chris Rock, Colin Yost, Fix it, Iggy Azalea, Jacob the Bar Mitzvah Boy, Jean K Jean, Jim Carrey, Justin Bieber, Kate McKinnon, Kenan Thompson, Kerry Washington, Leslie Jones, Michael Che, s5, Sasheer Zamata, Saturday Night Live, Serial, Sia, Smigel, SNL, St. Vincent, The Lonely Island, Vanessa Bayer, What Does the Fox Say, Zut Alors